Saturday, 31 August 2013

Beeston day-time cafés caught for foodie book

As I said in my last posting, wearing my Beeston WEA Writing Group hat, I am pulling together contributions for a booklet we are calling Foodie Heavens. One part of the booklet will be a photo directory of Beeston Cafes along the Chilwell Road and (Beeston) High Road, from west to east, beginning at Park Road and ending at Humber Road. This morning (Saturday 31 August 2013) I went out with my camera and photographed all those places open where you could sit down and relax for a few minutes. I took all the photographs between 10 and 11am. These are the photographs I took, with no more than a few comments.


Not strictly a café, but open for coffee. It won't make the booklet because of space limitations, but it will make the web list when I do it.


John, who owns The Granary, was enjoying the sun during a quiet moment before several Tram construction workers turned up.


It's a place we occasionally use and serves good wholesome food.


Jo, the owner, makes the best goulash I have ever tasted and sells great cheeses and home made pies. I can never pass without going in and buying something. Today it was cheddar cheese to die for and she has already volunteered to sell Foodie Heavens.


Fresh @ 39 is hidden from view by the Tram works, but behind the fencing, JCBs and plastic screens is a small café with a couple of tables. Today it was full of Tram workers. This photographic shows what small businesses along Chilwell Road are having to live with for well over a year!


Another place we occasionally used and where they have poetry evenings.


A Weatherspoons pub, which we also use when I fancy a beer and has plenty of folk inside drinking coffee, but it is part of a chain, so for space reasons no photograph of The Last Post will not appear in Foodie Heavens (but its name will).


On the south side of Beeston Town Square beside Station Road and part of a chain.


Across the road from Birds, with its entrance on Station Road. In the past, an award winning coffee shop.


Part of a chain, Nero's will probably no photograph in Foodie Heavens (but will get a mention).


Another occasional haunt of ours, which serves substantial meals and does high tea in the afternoons, which we have had, and very good it was. Also have a branch in West Bridgford, on the south side of Nottingham.


The Bean is on Stoney Street, which leads off the north side of (Beeston) High Road, directly opposite Belle & Jerome. Also won a national award a few years back.


One of Beeston's newer cafés.




The Brunch Sandwich Bar won't make Foodie Heavens because it doesn't have any seating area, but it has been doing business for a good while and is open during the day. There are some 'fast food' takeaways along Chilwell Road and the High Road, but they are not open in the mornings, so I have not included them.



Another new arrivals with what seems like an American slant, selling do-nuts, aiming at adults with children in tow.



Some cafés give the impression that they established their own discreet group of customers and the Metro is one of them. I have a friend who wouldn't go anywhere else.


They have been selling sandwiches and pies etc for a good while and bake everything at the back of the bakery, which is open to view from the shop. This year they have paced a table and chairs outside, so it means that they qualify for inclusion in Foodie Heavens. On the rare occasions I buy bread this is where I come. I buy their Belgian Buns more often and those featured in the book were bought here, smaller than usual, so cheaper (just 40p each) but, as you can see from the pic below, perfectly formed.



My very last photograph shows Mason & Mason, where we go every week, and sometimes drink coffee, sometimes tea, and share a sandwich. It is more teashop than café as far as I am concerned, but I would be hard pushed to explain the difference.


This is where the Beeston Writers meet up most weeks and, at the end, some of us walk down to the Local not global Deli for a light lunch and goulash on the right day (usually a Thursday). The two establishments offer quite different eating and drinking experiences, but I would not want to choose between the two. I like both.

On reflection, what I have created here is a historical record of sorts — a snapshot in time — of where any visitor to Beeston on Saturday 31 August 2013 could have stopped and enjoyed a break. I didn't. After photographing Mason & Mason I waited a couple of minutes and caught the first bus back home to Lenton. I have three buses to choose from at the rate of twenty-two an hour. This averages a bus every three minutes at least, but buses have the habit of behaving like bananas in the sense that buses bunch.

I now going back to laying out Foodie Heaven by Beeston Writers (I'm on my fourth draft). 




No comments: