Sunday, 28 October 2012

Don Quixote no more?

One of the problems I have, even after 6½ years of retirement is finding enough time to do the things I want to do. Since I left my (unfinished) last posting nearly three weeks ago, I have not had time to come back and finish it off, so I will try to continue here, but even this posting may not get done. It's just gone mid-day and I have been up and about for barely fifteen minutes. Susan is in the shower and I will be making coffee once she is out, then I'll be going downstairs to make us a light lunch for 1pm. Afterwards, we're going to try and clean the landing carpet and who knows how long that will take(!), but it needs to be done. Then it will be time for a cup of tea and a nice chocolate ginger biscuit. About 6pm I will start preparing supper (pasta and mushrooms with olives in a home-made tomato sauce full of garlic and onions. Oh, and there's still the washing up to do from breakfast, then lunch and supper. Markiza's litter tray also needs seeing to (I do it twice a day at least).

So, I'm fairly confident there will be no more blogging today. Tomorrow morning, Bernie, our garden help will be here for two hours and I have to go to Beeston to get the special cat food Markiza has because of a health problem she has (she is about twelve years old and came to us five years ago when a friend died and we had promised to care for his cat should anything happen to him. I'll do some food shopping as well, so there's another two hours gone. I've also got to write a piece for the creative writing class in Beeston, which I joined at the beginning of last year, and I enjoy going to.

I haven't mentioned trying to read The Guardian and The Observer every day as well, plus a couple of books I've got on the go. Am I crazy or what?

There are things I want to say about the way Nottingham is managed and the way its neighbourhoods, like Lenton where I live, are treated by the city's ruling elite. Even the local bowls club needs time and attention, with the first of three winter meetings next Monday and in December a local history forum to organise and publicise. I must be mad!

I've got a story on the go as well and a poem about the 35 bus route I have been playing around with since August, which is nearly there, but getting parts to flow is still a problem.

Then there are friends to see and other things to do and I have not even mentioned watching TV or listening to the radio (yesterday evening we listened to a 'Martin Beck' play on Radio 4, recorded from earlier in the afternoon, which I couldn't miss because he is my favourite detective of all time).

Susan says blogging is something you can do whenever, but I find it hard not to think of it a discipline which requires regular attention.

Perhaps my days at tilting at windmills are over, but never say never. Perhaps instead I should go to Marks & Spencers and buy in ready meals sandwiches instead of cooking and making bread?

Fifteen minutes since I started and Susan is out of the shower. Time for coffee.

PS. My fifty minutes with the Parliamentary Community and Local Government Community last Monday (22 October 2012), answering questions about the role of councillors in the community, went well insomuch as looking at archived film of the session on parliamentlive.tv and reading the transcript afterwards only reveal a couple of minor things I wasn't happy with (all were because I was speaking too quickly at times and missed words out).

I hammered home  my central message: that we need single member councillor wards and that councillors should exercise existing powers to control all the services which relate to the ward — to be 'mini-mayors' in effect.


No comments: