Sunday, 11 April 2010

Hidden corners I can see from my home

This week has found me and Susan both poorly again with yet another virus infection of some kind. My second this year and Susan's fourth. Yesterday, I felt well enough to have a wander around Lenton Recreation Ground and across Church Street into Holy Trinity's churchyard and the little pocket park which nestles, unnoticed by most, beside it. In fact, we can see all three from our living room. All have their attractions and two have hidden corners, where the trees, especially in summer with their leaves, muffle all the surrounding sounds. These are little havens of escape and I would put benches in both, so that I could sit and soak up the quiet, with only birdsong to keep me company.
Who would guess that I was within a few yards of our front door when I took this picture yesterday? A really hidden corner.
This hidden corner is just across from the Church Street entrance to Lenton Recreation Ground. Few notice it. Created as a community pocket park in the 1980s, with the intention that volunteers would look after it (which they did for a while), it became neglected until Dave arrived and took it under his wing…
… since when it has been lovingly cared for. I don't visit it enough. It really is one of New Lenton's 'hidden corners' and, yes, we can actually see it from our home on Devonshire Promenade.
Yesterday, I noticed this small urn, with its images of  Durham Catherdral in Holy Trinity Churchyard. I peeked inside and saw that it contains ashes with traces of bone, so I assume that it is from a cremation. Afterwards, disturbing it seemed like an act of desecration, even though I just lifted the lid. I have never noticed it before and covered, as it was, in dust and grime, I suspect that it may have been there for some months. It has clearly been left on the grave as an act of remembrance and association. Perhaps the remains of someone close to those buried in the grave. Left where it is, I fear that it will disappear, its contents discarded without thought. Perhaps the urn should be buried, albeit just below the surface, and become part of the eternity whoever placed it there wishes the person in the urn to share with those in the grave?
Finally, I don't often appear in my own pictures. but yesterday after my morning walk around the park, I went back in the afternoon and spent a couple of enjoyable hours in the company of another New Lenton resident, Barrie, playing the first game of bowls of the 2010 season in the park. More about this and other West End bowlers can be found on the club's blog at http://webowlers.blogspot.com.

Today (Sunday), the morning has been spent delivering copies of Dunkirk and Lenton Life to houses and shops in my part of New Lenton. A very different, darker, experience, to the day I enjoyed yesterday in and around the park. I will write about today after I have gone out and taken some pictures…


President Lech Kaczynski, his wife, and 95 other people died after the president's plane clipped a copse of trees on its approach to Smolensk airport in thick fog. There were no survivors. Among the dead were many senior Polish government and military figures.

No comments: