Sunday, 23 November 2008

Blind Alleys

This is my first blog in a fortnight. I have been distracted by my new website and all the possibilities it is opening up for me in terms of self-expression — not that I need give myself any encouragement, as I have been expressing myself vocally and in writing since I was a teenager.
In the midst of doing work on my website, I found myself providing Nottingham City Council with information about a historic footpath and, probably, a road at sometime in the past, which runs between Lenton and Nottingham city centre. It led me on to creating a web-page about ‘Lenton short-cuts’. And now, this has led me onto pondering blind alleys.

Talking to a friend yesterday evening, she told me that she and her sister started to walk into Nottingham and took what they believed to be a short-cut. Half way along, they decided to turn back for fear that the gate at the other end would be locked. So, rather than take a chance, they turned around and headed home.

The story could be an allegory for so many things. Our own lives, politics, work, you name it. If you think about it, all our major decisions in life are like blind alleys. Acts of faith. Even believing we can see the other end of a path does not mean we can be sure of what we will see, or find, when we get to the other end.

In my last blog I referred to the need for me to do some pruning in my old age. To say this is often greeted with the cry ‘You are not old’. As a rising-65, within a few months of my Old Age Pension, I know different! I am aware of my mortality, even though I have no intention of sitting around waiting for the end to come. There is still much I want to do and enjoy.

And how does this relate to ‘blind alleys?’. Simply, at my age I want to avoid them if I can
Eco-inventors in Canada they have found the solution to the world's worsening water shortages by drawing the liquid of life from an unlimited and untapped source - the air. The company, Element Four, has developed a machine that it hopes will become the first mainstream household appliance to have been invented since the microwave. Their creation, the WaterMill, uses the electricity of about three light bulbs to condense moisture from the air and purify it into clean drinking water.

No comments: