Sunday, 7 September 2008

Lenton's Event of the Year

I was late for the re-opening of Lenton Swimming Pool on Friday, so I missed the speeches and the ribbon cutting, but I did manage to get a few pics. Susan went ahead without me and got no further than the entrance, such was the throng of people who packed The Lenton Centre's reception area. By the time I arrived it had thinned out a bit, as many had gone down to the pool to see the first swimmers take the plunge.

I hope to have a picture of the opening from either Alex at the Forum or Parbinder from Area 8 which I can add later. In the meantime here are the few I managed to snaffle in the midst of talking to lots of people, a good few of whom I had not seen for an age, so it was nice to see that they were all still in the land of the living.

Someone made this marvellous cake to mark the occasion. As a great cake lover, who was late because I had a chocolate cake in the oven at home, this is one cake that really does look too good to eat! I wish I had stayed around to enjoy a slice, but Friday was not one of my best days and, in truth, I wanted to at home with my feet up, despite the fact that there were a few people there who I could happily talk to forever.

As we left, TLC staff were already busy making use of their brand new counter, which was only fitted on Thursday. I love the rubber duck logo of 'Quackers', TLC's club for people who want to learn to swim. As a fully signed up member of the Friends of Lenton Swimming Pool, I am sure it will be a success. The challenge now is to make the sure that TLC has the revenue income it needs to keep the pool and the rest of the building properly maintained. So long as we are about, Susan and I will do our bit. I hope it's a very long way off, but when we wrote our wills deep in history, we willed some money to Lenton Community Centre. We must amend our wills.

Dear me, I hope this thought does not come across as gloomy. I don't intend it to be. Legacy funding is a good way to help good causes and there must be plenty of old Lentonians who would love to help in this way if they had the procedure explained to them.

According to The Observer newspaper, David Cameron has lured a team of Tony Blair's key advisers into the Tory 'big tent' as part of a sudden realignment of power and influence at Westminster. Among those ready to help the Tories are Matthew Taylor, head of the Number 10 Policy Unit under Blair. Taylor, now chief executive of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, confirmed that he had had some dealings with the Tories and would be happy to assist if they won power.

No comments: