Thursday, 27 March 2008

A singing bush

The Pyracantha bush in flower in May 2007. A treat to look forward to in the next six weeks or so.

Listening to the birds singing in the Pyracantha bush in Lenton Recreation Ground. They had seen a Robin and a Blackbird by the time I spoke to them, so there must have been a lot more birds in the bush as well if the bird chorus coming from the Pyrocantha bush was anything to go by!

The Marie Curie Daffodil patch is still a sea of yellow, but not as bright as it was in 2007. Do daffodils get tired after so many seasons?

A new sign just placed on the Derby Road railings.

As I entered the park this morning I saw an elderly gentleman and a young girl peering into the Pyrocantha bush which stands alone in the grassed playing area and I wondered what had caught their attention, so I decided if they were still there after I made my slow perambulation around the park I would go and see. Well, they were still there. Whatever it was had them circling the bush, peering in and looking up. As I got closer I knew what it was: the bush was singing. It was a wonderful chorus of birdsong.

Whilst growing up I remember hearing birds singing in country hedges, but it was not until sometime in the mid-1980s that I heard my first singing hedge in a town. I was in Louth, Lincolnshire, at the time and had walked into a carpark to collect my car. It was late-afternoon and I was met with a wall of birdsong coming from a very long hawthorn and holly hedge. As I got closer the birds stopped singing all at the same time and it was suddenly eerily quiet. I stopped and stood still and the birds began their chorus again. I listened for what seemed like an age until someone else came into the carpark and the chorus stopped. It was one of life's memorable moments.

Since then I have listened for, and heard, singing hedges in lots of other places in towns. Our own back garden is one such place. I have heard birds in the Pyrocantha bush before, but this morning they were singing their hearts out. Perhaps they were using song to fight for nesting sites in this thorniest of bushes? From time to time, there is talk of removing the bush and everytime I have objected. As I have said in at least one previous blog post, it is my favourite bush in the park, as much for what it reminds me of as for it has become. In May it will be in full blossom and a sight to behold. Something to look forward to over the coming weeks.

Bob Diamond, the US banker who runs Barclays' investment banking arm, has cemented his position as one of the highest paid bosses in a FTSE 100 company after receiving almost £36m last year. The figure comprises £21m in cash, bonuses and shares in addition to £14.8m from a three-year performance plan.



1 comment:

Paul Pursglove said...

Our daffodils bulbs tend to rot in the wet clay soil over the autumn. We don't bother to take them out of the ground, so it is very much up to chance and the resident wildlife if they survive to the next year. Professional growers will lift the bulbs when the leaves die back. This protects the stock from adverse conditions out of season. I suspect that the daffodils in the patch have been very wet and not experienced enough sunlight to flower well. also, with a standing crop, the bulb will bud to produce several flowers competing for the same patch of nutrients. Thinning the bulbs to get a maximum flowering is a time consuming and tedious task. Needs dedication!