Friday, 15 February 2008

A park visit with a friend

Quarry Park, Shrewsbury, view 1.

Quarry Park, Shrewsbury, view 2.

Quarry Park, Shrewsbury, view 3.

Quarry Park, Shrewsbury, view 4.

During the two weeks or so when I couldn't visit Lenton Recreation Ground, I thought it would be nice to wander to some parks I didn't know well, if at all, in the company of friends. Today my friend Rosie takes us to Quarry Park in Shrewsbury. I've already promised myself a day out visiting the park this coming summer. I might invite some friends and family to join me for a cake and pork pie picnic (with the choice of veggie pie as well). Now, it's over to Rosie:

When Robert asked if I would write a little something on one of my favourite parks I had to think about it quite a lot before coming to a decision about where to choose. I did think about producing something on the parks in Stoke-on-Trent as each of the towns, except Stoke, has their own and each has an interesting history. I’ve never photographed them though and this is not a good time of year for interesting photographs - maybe something for the future, perhaps? I then considered country parks as there are many around us within easy travelling distance and we often walk in them. In the end, I decided to stick with the idea what the word park means to me which is a council owned, green area of recreation in the middle of a town or city. I have photos of me as a very small child in the Abbey Park in Leicester but I don’t really have the memories to go with them. In the end, I chose a park that has impressed me on the half a dozen or so times I have visited it – so here is my choice - Quarry Park in Shrewsbury.


Quarry Park is delightful at any time of year but the photos I’ve included were taken in July 2006 at the start of the very hot weather we had that summer. The park is easily reached from the path along the River Severn from the English Bridge or the Welsh Bridge as well as from the town centre. There are plenty of open areas of grass where you can sit with a picnic, play ball games with the children, gaze at the lovely Georgian church just across the road and generally laze away the day. It is here that the very popular Shrewsbury Flower Show is held each year and at its centre are the sunken gardens known as The Dingle which were designed and built in 1946 by the new Parks Superintendent for Shrewsbury, Percy Thrower. I think I like this park because of its proximity to the river, its wide sweeping views and the wonderful buildings that surround it. In the summer sun The Dingle is warm and welcoming with its colourful flowers, tinkling streams, hidden statues and chirruping, buzzing wildlife. I can feel the sun on my back and smell the warm, rich scent of the roses as I write this. Quarry Park is near perfection — something I hope I have captured in my photographs.

The Government gave into Saudi Arabia's rulers when they threatened to make it easier for terrorists to attack London unless corruption investigations into their arms deals were halted according to court documents published yesterday. With 'allies' like this who needs enemies!

1 comment:

Rosie said...

I was trying to remember when I first visited Quarry Park and The Dingle. I knew it was when Paul had an Earth Sciences day school on Wenlock Edge with the OU and I had a day to myself in Shrewsbury and I wandered around all the museums and the park as wells as the shops. I'd thought it was when we lived at Spalding but I suddenly remembered today that the B&B we stayed in had wallpaper in the bathroom exactly like ours - and that paper we had at Mansfield so it must have been in 1981 or 1982 that I first visited.

Veggie pies did you say? :)