Tuesday, 30 October 2007

Park windows


On Sunday the clocks went back and we woke up to daylight again, albeit for a few short weeks before the darkness overtakes us again. At this time of the year the sun cuts across the sky at a lower angle and catches everything in a different way. Shadows seem longer and the sun appears to be acting like an uplighter on some of the trees first thing in the morning.

I see the above two views every day. The top picture is taken from our bed, where we sit first thing in the morning drinking tea, eating our breakfast and reading The Guardian. Neither of us are early risers and I have to admit that has always been one of Susan's great attractions. Providing I get her tea, make her breakfast and give her the G2 section I can stay in bed as long as I like. Unfortunately, as I get older, I am finding that I can no longer sit in bed and read for hours like I used to.

But the joys of living with a woman who likes her bed is one of life's great pleasures and with Susan it has been ever thus from the second day I knew her. Yes, folks, it was love at first sight, but I'll save that story for another day.

The bottom picture is the view from our living room window, where we sit and view the park. It's getting close to my favourite time of the year when it comes to the living room. It's late-afternoon and it's dark. Cars and buses are backed up along the Derby Road as drivers and passengers make their way out of the city. It's also raining and I am curled up on the sofa in front of the fire reading with a cup of tea and a slice of home-made cake. The blinds are still up and as the traffic slowly edges towards the railway bridge, the traffic lights beyond and out of sight go through their never ending sequence of red-amber-green-amber-red-amber-green, which makes the tailback of traffic stop and as they do their red breaking lights catch the surface of the road and bounce back, thus doubling the amount of light I can see through the leafless trees as I look across the park towards the Derby Road. I'll try to take a picture and put it in the blog.

At this time of the year these are comforting thoughts which feel me with pleasure. I really need little else.

British government shrugs off criticisms of corruption and a lack of democracy in Saudi Arabia as the Saudi king arrives on state visit.


No comments: