Monday, 24 September 2007

It's slideshow time again

The bowling green western path looking south

Clouds gathering over Lenton

Going home

Much of the past weekend has been spent putting together an updated slideshow about Lenton Recreation Ground 2007. The one and only other show was for the Green Flag Award judges who came to see the park earlier in the year. Now, of course, I have a lot more pictures to choose from. In the end I have decided to create two slide shows: one called 'Park People', the other 'Park Views'. Each will have about 80 pictures. At the moment it's still a work in progress, but all will be ready for the slideshow(s) to be shown in the park pavilion between 12 and 5pm this coming Saturday at the Dunkirk and Lenton Community Festival, which is organised by the Dunkirk and Lenton Partnership Forum.

I'm leaving space for a few of the pictures I take this week. Looking at all the pictures I have taken over the past eight months (I only started at the beginning of February), I have taken a few I like a lot. Most show the park as it is. Among the many good things I have gained from embarking on the project to take pictures of the park for a year is an appreciation of what the park staff do day in, day out, to give us all this fantastic little park to love and cherish. Every day I see something new. Take today, a couple of hours ago (about 3pm) I went to the post office and bought some bananas from Angela, then walked through the park. I saw the leaves on the bowling green paths and caught sight of so many greens and autumn hues that I couldn't take them all in. My picture doesn't do what I saw justice. An everyday scene, but one of many we should all find the time to look at more closely. Then, as I rounded the path beside the dunking area I saw the storm clouds gathering over Lenton. Again, my picture only hints at the beauty of what I saw, but it made me feel all warm and comfortable inside, knowing that within a few minutes I would be home, putting the kettle on, making tea and slicing homemade chocolate cake I made at the weekend, climbing the stairs with the tray and sitting on the sofa in our top floor den having tea and a chat with Susan about 'A2 planning regulations' (don't ask, you don't want to know why and how the subject got there on a walk to the post office).

Then, just as I reached our front door, I saw a family turn onto the path which runs through the park outside our house. I had said 'hello' in the park. I think you would describe the man and me as 'nodding acquaintances'. I saw the picture before I took it and I knew it had the potential to be a good one. Already, it is one of my favourite pictures. I have called it 'Going home'. I will make a copy and give it to them the next time I see them. I love it. I hope you like it too. The picture stirs my emotions. I suspect it's because they are on the move and could be going anywhere. In my mind I have then going home for tea, just like me. It's that kind of day today.

As for Lenton Boulevard and the promenade, they are full of students, some new. others returning. Lenton is about to become a different place again and I think I like it, whatever way it is. I like the quiet of the term-breaks and I like the bustle of term-time. The park is always there and that is just how I like it best.

'Jaffa cake' and 'heaviosity' are among the words to make it into the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary.

No comments: