Wednesday, 1 August 2007

Laughter from the park

This morning I could hear children laughing in the park. So when I made a cup of coffee I went out front and had a look. Across the park I could see a group of children playing a game of some sort. So I got my camera and wandered over and saw that it was being led by Nicola, who leads the Activ8 project which is based at The Lenton Centre. With her permission I took a couple of photographs.

Lenton Recreation Ground is used by lots of children, not that you would realise this fact from the photographs I take of the park. As I have explained in the text about this blog and project, we live in an age when taking photographs of children, even in public places, is a sensitive subject. I can understand why, but I regret it.

Watching children enjoy themselves is a pleasurable experience. It brings back memories of one's own childhood, especially the freedom we had to roam far and wide. During the school holidays when I wasn't away staying with relatives me and my friends would go off to one of the local parks in Wembley and have a great time. Doing it with my granddaughters over the years has been a real joy, paddling and climbing trees in Highfields Park or simply on the swings in Lenton Recreation Ground. Sometimes we walked further afield to the Victoria Embankment, Wollaton Park or The Arboretum. It is something I will not do with my younger grandchildren for I am older and they are less likely to come and stay on their own. So to see other children enjoying themselves is a real treat, which is why this morning has been kind of special and a reminder that parks are for fun and laughter as well as reflection and quiet.

Boys are going through their entire time at primary school without ever having a male teacher. Education Section, The Guardian (31 July 2007).

1 comment:

Rosie said...

It's good to see children playing in the park and having fun on 'National Play Day'.

Thinking back to my village primary school in the late 50s/early 60s I had all female teachers and I think here were more boys than girls at the school. When I got to grammar school and two thirds of my teachers were male it was quite a shock and I found I was quite frightened of them as they seemed very strict and unapproachable.
Although life was more regimented then in the sense of rules and regulations we also had far more freedom to play outside un- supervised than children today.

Nice to see you back,
Rosie
p.s. Ship Canal tomorrow :)