Sunday, 22 July 2007

Rainy days


The top picture says all you need to know about the past few weeks in Lenton Recreation Ground. Wet, wet, wet. There was some good news though. The park, I understand, has retained its Green Flag status and Dave, our groundsman, is going to collect the award (Eddie if you are reading this, the Forum has sent out an email sharing the good news). I hope to post a photograph of the presentation ceremony to a future blog. In the meantime, congratulations to all concerned.

Earlier this month we went with some friends to Attenborough Nature Reserve for lunch, where it rained all of the time, then onto Wollaton Hall, which has just re-opened after a multi-million pound refurbishment project funded by the Lottery. For a few minutes the rain stopped and I took the above photograph. Wollaton Hall Park is less than a mile from Lenton Recreation Ground, straight along the Derby Road towards the ring road, then up the tree-lined drive to the Hall. The Hall is a Tudor masterpiece, certainly as good as Hardwick Hall to look at.

My third 'Tea in the Park' event on 15 July was a washout with just one customer, but since I have been under the weather for the last fortnight or so with a barking cough I was not too upset. Susan and Judith came to my rescue and took charge. With luck my final 'Tea in the Park' afternoon on August Bank Holiday Saturday will make up for July. I will try and publicise it more.

The worst floods in over a century hit parts parts of the West Midlands, with the promse of more to come.


No comments: