Thursday, 26 April 2007

Pleasures in the park

Bluebells by the shed

Hit for four behind

To see a carpet of bluebells in a wood is one of life's greatest pleasures and makes it so easy to understand why the bluebell is one of England's favourite flowers. Lenton Recreation Ground isn't big enough to have a wooded area, but if space in the future can be found for a car park for some of the bowling green users, then perhaps a wooded area can be created as well — a thought I have never had until now. But there are clumps of bluebells in the park, mostly around the bowling green, and they look wonderful. At the moment we also have them in our small back garden and we see them from the kitchen window. The bluebells won't be with us for long, so we should enjoy them whilst we can. I've long thought that they symbolise life. It may be short but it can be beautiful and it can bring pleasure simply by being observed.

On Tuesday when I wandered into the park to take a picture or two I saw my friend Shafiq and his two boys playing cricket and using one of the new elms as a wicket and when they invited me to join in I couldn't resist. I can't remember how long it is since I bowled at a wicket or held a cricketbat and it was great fun. When I was at school I enjoyed playing cricket and I still support Middlesex even though I haven't lived there since 1969. I also like football, but I am one of those who likes to see and hear about these two great English games during their respective seasons, although April has always been a month when the two games overlap.

So, as you can see, I have been busy enjoying pleasures in the park, which is how it is most weeks and has been ever since we moved here. Lenton Recreation Ground is really a timeless pleasure.

Finally, about the proposed car park. I know it will also provide hardstanding for mobile play equipment and is intended for cars with disability stickers, but given that there is car parking less than 25 yards away in the pocket park beside the church I still wonder if the idea represents value for money when finances are tight.

Sheffield survey shows that robins have to sing at night to beat off the traffic noise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy reading your blog about the park, and you talking about bluebells, brings back lovely memories of the days i used to spend with my dad when i was a child at his place of work, walkin in bluebell woods, as we used to call it. I am very proud of my father who is the author of this blog love your loving daughter xx

Robert said...

Alicia, until you reminded me I had completely forgotten the bluebell woods at Wooton Wawen. Somewhere, Susan has a wonderful colour photograph she took on one of your visits. Love Dad xxx

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your park blog. Pretty high standard i say. Thanks for
the mention. The boys enjoyed it too. Great tree that elm:-) We may have
to get some proper wickets now and hope you'll join us.
Shafiq

Rosie said...

What is it about bluebells that makes them so inspiring? I thought you might like this:-

'There is a silent eloquence
in every wild bluebell
That fills my softened heart with bliss
That words could never tell.'

Extract from 'The Bluebell' by Anne Bronte, written in 1840.