Monday, 5 March 2007

Lenton's slice of heaven
This pic was taken in the churchyard which is only a few yards from the park on 3 March 2007, when my youngest grandson was staying with us for the weekend. He was fascinated by all the gravestones with the names and ages of boys and girls who had died young. Perhaps all young schoolchildren should be taken around churchyards and cemeteries as part of their studies?

On my walk around the park yesterday I stopped and looked at one of the three Park Noticeboards and saw something I had written last year for the visit by the Green Flag Inspection Team. I had completely forgotten about it! Reading my words from May 2006 again I think they still hold true, so I have decided to place them in my blog as today's contribution:


Over the past twenty-five years I have probably spent more time looking at Lenton Recreation Ground than anyone else except, possibly, my wife. My children, then my grandchildren, played in the park. Occasionally I have played bowls. Nothing, however, beats the stillness of the park when covered with snow and looking magical in the winter sunlight. The last time was just after Christmas and then only for a day.

As I walked around taking photographs I had the park to myself. It really is a little slice of heaven right here in Lenton.
It was not until 2003 that I started to use the park on a regular basis and only then after my doctor told me to 'take a brisk half-hour walk' as often as I could. So, I took to walking around the park and soon found that during 30 minutes I could do six laps of the park. Then we were told that walking 10,000 steps a day was a good thing, so I bought a pedometer and found that, for me at least, every circuit of the park was about 600 steps and took about five minutes, but it did set me wondering what the actual distance was around the park.

For nearly three years I wondered, then in early-January I saw a lady pushing a wheeled pedometer in the park. She was actually measuring the length of some fencing, but she did let me borrow her wonderful gadget with the result that I discovered that one circuit around Lenton Recreation Ground is 523 metres (.325 miles), so my six laps is just over 3 km or just under 2 miles.

The great thing about walking around Lenton Recreation Ground is that you quickly switch off and block out all the noise you don't want to hear. It is both restful and invigorating at the same time and I leave the park after 30 minutes ready for a cup of tea and a piece of home-made cake or a nice biscuit.
Instead of going home for my cup of tea, it would be rather nice if I could call in at the bowling green pavilion at least once a week and chat with other walkers. I'm going to talk to the park's consultation group, which is part of the Dunkirk and Lenton Partnership Forum, about have a weekly 'walk and tea' session in the park. In the meantime, when you walk around the park you can now calculate just how far you have travelled!

1 comment:

Rosie said...

The 'walk and tea' sessions sound like a great idea. Your affection for the park resounds through your writing. I agree that churchyards have so much to offer both for adults and children not just in an historical context but on a spiritual level giving the awareness of the passing of time and our place within it.

Hope all is well:)