Sunday, 4 March 2007

Train watching from the park
The west side of Lenton Recreation Ground is bordered by a railway line and during the day a train comes along every 10-15 minutes and, today, I caught my grandson watching a train go by. In the winter, when the trees are bare, you can hear the trains coming from the path beside the bowling green, but in the summer the leaves on the trees deaden the sound and you suddenly hear the throaty roar of the train's diesel engine as it rattles by. When it's very quiet and you stand still you can hear the rails 'singing' long before a train comes by. I have no idea how far away the train is, but on such occasions I feel I have to stop and wait for the train and it can seem an age.

Poor families have to pay an annual £1,000 'poverty premium' says charity report.



No comments: