Tuesday, 13 February 2007

How this blog came about















A view of Lenton Recreation Ground from the front of my home in June 2006. The park opened in 1888 after the Parish of Lenton became part of Nottingham. Today, Lenton is an inner-city area one mile from the city centre and at the time of the 2001 Census, 56% of the local population of 7,000 people were students 'in full-time education'

Three women made this blog happen. A few weeks ago our friend J said she would like to go and see a photographic exhibition in the Yard Gallery, Wollaton Hall, near our home in Lenton, so we went. It turned out to be a collection of landscape photographs taken by photographers living in countries bordering the Baltic Sea. One photographer had taken a picture every day for a year and given each picture a caption which related to a news story from the national media. I liked the juxtaposition.

The next day (4 February 2007), I went into the park outside my front door and took my first photograph.
The only idea in my head was to try and take a park view each day for a year. Susan, my wife, asked me what I was going to do with the photographs and I said, without really thinking (something I do all the time), I'll put a slideshow together for the next community fesitival.

Later the same day, our close friend Rosie telephoned to see how we were and if we were doing anything special on our 30th wedding anniversary the next day and we got to talking about Rosie's writing. It was then she told me about her Blog site and said 'Why don't you do one?' At the time I thought 'No way. Where will I find the time?'

Over a week on and I have managed to take a picture in the park each day and I thought if I am going to do a slideshow, I will have to do something every day or so or it will get too much to do and it won't happen. Nor would I remember what caught my attention in the news on the day in question. Then Susan asked me if I was going to put the pictures on the web and I said no. On reflection, I decided to get my pictures of Lenton Recreation Ground on the web via a blog, especially after Rosie reassured me that it was 'quite easy' to do. We shall see. Well, there you have it, you can see how one thing led to another, so watch this blog for further developments!

No comments: